Cooking history


I had Home Ec in 9th grade. I remember one of the first things we did was learn to make a white sauce for vegetables. I really wondered why glom up perfectly good vegetables.

I used to make my own yogurt 4 quarts at a time. Also loved to make bread, though. I used to make my own Bisquick - it was called "Missouri Mix" from a University extension pamphlet. Do they still have those, I wonder?

Also, while my husband and I were still in college, we had a large group of non-American student friends - from India, South, and Central America, and decided to make a huge Thanksgiving party for everyone. The tradition of a big Thanksgiving has continued with all my husband's family getting together (His sister had 9 kids.) (My family is farther away, but would be welcome also.) I am famous for the dressing, giblet gravy, and for a cranberry relish my grandma used to make.

Once in the grocery, in the tomato sauce aisle, a lady much older than me asked me what I used tomato sauce for. (In those days, there wasn't any bottled spaghetti sauce. come to think of it, it was also before Hamburger Helper! THAT shows my age!) I answered that I use it for everything!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog